SWS Scrip Program
|~Content under development. Please check back for updates.~|
What is Scrip?
By definition, ‘scrip’ is a substitute for currency. Historically, it was used in mining and logging communities that were controlled by a single company. Employees had to buy goods from the company store and scrip was how they paid. Today, the term ‘scrip’ is used to represent gift certificates, cards and other programs used by various organizations for fundraising.
Scrip at SWS is the collective fundraising effort in which families use select programs for normal, everyday household shopping or specialized needs such as holiday or other gift-giving. These programs, when used, yield a percentage of eligible spend directly to SWS. When scrip is used, every day purchases can quickly add up to big returns for SWS.
Scrip fundraising at SWS consists of 5 different programs:
- Gift Cards and eCards
- Shopping Rewards
- Box Tops for Education
- Community Affiliate Program
The following information provides participation requirements and, where possible, a snapshot of what each program looks like.
Gift Cards and eCards
The company is “Great Lakes Scrip.” This gift card fundraiser can potentially earn the highest yield for SWS – from 1-50%, depending on the merchant. In short, SWS asks families to pay for everyday purchases with gift cards purchased through this program; a percentage of every card sold becomes a donation. Participation can be in any one or all of the following ways:
- SWS buys select physical gift cards at a discount to keep on hand. Families purchase these gift cards in the Development office at face value with cash or check.
- Families register and shop online at ShopWithScrip.com using an EFT from their bank account.
- Allows for direct, immediate payment and ‘card’ availability
- Families pick up an order form the Development Office or print from SWS website and turn in completed order forms by the first Wednesday of each month with your cash or check.
Click here for more instructions to register and purchase gift cards.
Below is an example of how simply this program works to earn money for SWS.
|Example – Monthly Gift Card Purchase|
|# Families||Gift Card||Denomination||Total||Rebate||SWS Donation|
Every day shopping earns money for SWS. The merchants listed below have created their own program for giving back to local schools and other organizations. With a little front-end effort, families can earn money for SWS every time they shop.
- Raley’s Something Extra scrip program – “Extra Credit”: 1.5% yield
- Must have a Something Extra account to participate
- Must log in and designate Sacramento Waldorf School in “Manage your account” under “Extra Credit”
- Shop at Raley’s or Bel-Air
- Swipe Something Extra card or enter phone number at checkout
- Save Mart Supermarkets “S.H.A.R.E.S.”: 3% yield
- Must have a S.H.A.R.E.S. card
- Pick up a S.H.A.R.E.S. card in the Development Office
- Shop at SaveMart, Lucky, FoodMaxx or S-Mart Foods
- Swipe S.H.A.R.E.S. card before tendering payment
- AmazonSmile: 0.5% yield
- Must have an account with Amazon
- Must designate Sacramento Waldorf School as your charity under “Account Settings”
- Use Smile.Amazon.com every time you shop with Amazon
If you are a Raley’s/Bel Air or Amazon shopper, consider using the “Scrip Gift Cards” program to make your purchases and earn an additional 3-4% for SWS.
eScrip works by connecting schools and nonprofits with participating vendors from the eScrip dot com website. Potential earnings are from select grocery and retail stores, restaurants, and travel vendors. Through this site, qualifying purchases with select vendors result in earnings. Yields vary by merchant.
- Must create an account with escrip.com and register all credit and debit cards, grocery and retail store loyalty cards, and phone numbers.
- Must designate Sacramento Waldorf School to receive earnings
- Must shop online or locally, dine out, book travel, or cruise with participating merchants to earn money for SWS
Box Tops for Education
This is a very simple program requiring little effort on the part of SWS families. Participating vendors manufacture products containing the Box Tops for Education label on the external packaging. The label must be removed from the packaging intact and given to the Development Office. Each box top label is worth 10¢. It’s that simple.
- Additional earnings are possible through the website boxtops4education.com by participating in sweepstakes, contests, and entering bonus box tops found on special product packaging.
- Must create an individual account.
Community Affiliate Program
Community Affiliates are prescreened businesses of current and past families, faculty, staff, and alumni. Each participating affiliate gives a (predetermined) percentage of direct sales to SWS.
- Program length is September to August, each year.
- Must purchase directly from affiliate through SWS scrip page.
The Community Affiliate Program is still being developed. Contact the Development Team for more information.
Email the Devolopment Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org