Sacramento Waldorf School

History

Founded in 1959, Sacramento Waldorf School began as a home-based kindergarten with just two children. It quickly outgrew its early home, moving first to a rented church hall, then to a house and garden provided almost free of charge by a parent. Growth continued and the school graduated its first eighth grade in 1967. In 1971, the school moved to its present location, establishing a five-acre mixed-use farm as a first step in its relocation. The Farm continues to thrive, a statement of the school’s commitment to its natural surroundings. The campus has been continuously developed as enrollment has increased.

The High School was founded in 1972. It began with a ninth grade class and grew steadily, graduating its first twelfth grade in 1978.

Steady growth has been punctuated by several major events. In 1985, the day before school was scheduled to start, the Dome Building, housing the library and administration, was destroyed by arson. The entire community rallied behind the school and a new combined administration and library building was completed in 1987. In 1997, after a capital campaign, Linden Hall, a large multi-purpose athletics, performing arts, events, and classroom building was opened.

In September, 2006, the school broke ground for a high school science and math complex. The high school buildings were completed in the fall of 2007. These beautiful campus buildings provide dedicated classroom and laboratory spaces for chemistry, physics, biology, mathematics, computer science, as well as meeting spaces and faculty work space. In 2013 our outdoor quad area was  established — with a lot of hands-on help from the whole community.